- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Do you love getting outdoors with your dog in all weather but are less enthused by that musty odor that sticks to your dog’s harness? If you’re looking to enjoy the great outdoors but want to bypass the all-too-familiar wet-dog smell, consider a waterproof dog harness that has all the function—with none of the funk.
Waterproof dog harnesses have some common characteristics. Most are made from a PVC- or TPU-coated material, which keeps out the water and the smell. But beyond that, they can look pretty different: some are designed to be comfy enough for all-day wear, whereas others are meant to offer direct control for pullers, or be durable enough for serious swimming and water activities.
Not sure which harness is best for your dog? Start with the basics on how to choose a harness, or hop down to our curated list of favorites for pups with different needs. (And if you’re in the market for a waterproof dog collar, we’ve also got you covered!)
Best for Muddy Hikes: Frisco Waterproof PVC Harness
For keen adventurers, this waterproof Frisco harness ticks a lot of boxes. Constructed with durable polyester and a PVC coating, it repels water and keeps odors at bay. After super muddy outings, it’s easy to clean with a damp towel. Another bonus for cold-weather explorers: this Frisco harness won’t freeze like a typical nylon model.
When your excited pup is dying to get outside, the last thing you need is a complicated contraption to put on them. Frisco’s easy, step-in design means less time fussing and more time adventuring. It also features multiple sliders to help achieve the perfect fit.
- PVC-coated polyester
- Available in four sizes: S, M, L, XL
- Three two-toned color options
- Durable metal D-ring for secure leash attachment
- The waterproof materials may be uncomfortable for everyday use
Shop on Chewy
Best for Escape Artists: Wau Dog Waterproof Harness
Here’s one for mischievous dogs with superior escape skills and a tendency for flight. Equipped with a Smart ID tag, the waterproof Wau Dog harness makes it easier for you to identify your dog if they get lost. You can sync the tag with the Wau Dog App to create an online profile for your pooch for extra safety. Available in an array of vibrant neon colors, this harness is great for visibility. And it’s easy to adjust, so you can get the most secure fit on your escape artist.
This harness is made with Collartex, a material that repels dirt and water. It also resists smelly odors and is super easy to clean. Most users find this harness durable enough for outdoor activities like boating. However, it may not fare as well with heavy chewers.
- Made with Collartex to repel water and dirt
- Available in three sizes: S, M, L
- Available in six bright colors
- QR tag helps to identify your dog if they get lost (though note that it won’t have the same effect as a true GPS tracker for dogs)
Shop on AmazonShop on ChewyShop on Walmart
Most Comfortable: AIITLE Durable Waterproof Dog Harness
The AIITLE harness is a good option for pet parents who need a tough waterproof harness option that’s comfortable enough for dogs to wear for long outdoor outings. This waterproof harness is made from durable and breathable materials, with reflective strips. Like many of the waterproof options, the Oxford fabric has a PV-waterproof coating that helps prevent odor buildup. The lining of this harness is a breathable and comfortable mesh, giving this harness an all-weather versatility.
It’s easy to don and doff (just two quick snaps), and dog parents can also get a more precise fit by using the two shoulder and two back adjusters. This vest features plastic hardware, and pet parents can choose from a front attach option (more control for pullers) and rear leash attach (great for walks or runs).
- Durable and comfortable for long outings
- Features four sliding adjustments for a precise fit
- Front and back leash attachment options
- Waterproof and odor resistant
- Available in sizes XXS to L (think Bichon to German Shepherd)
Shop on Amazon
Easiest Upkeep: Coastal Pet Harness
The Coastal Pet waterproof harness is made with a durable waterproof webbing that does not absorb dirt or moisture. It features both a front and rear D-ring so pet parents can select the amount of control they need while walking their dog. Because of the materials used, this harness is exceptionally easy to clean and does not retain odors. There are multiple points of adjustment on this harness, which helps pet parents select the perfect fit. This harness comes in three sizes and four colors.
- Made with waterproof webbing that does not absorb dirt or moisture
- Easy to clean and odor free
- Multiple options for adjusting
- Front and rear leash attachment options
- The waterproof webbing could chafe after prolonged uses—be sure to adjust appropriately and be cautious on longer hikes or walks
Shop on Amazon
Best Step-In Design: Canada Pooch Waterproof Dog Harness
The Canada Pooch Waterproof Dog Harness is an easy step-in design that is fully adjustable. Like most of the waterproof harness options, this one is also made of PVC coated webbing. It features two rust-proof D-rings—front and back—that give pet parents added control if needed.
This odor-resistant harness doubles as a no-pull harness option. If you are also looking for a waterproof leash, Canada Pooch has a matching leash option that uses the same waterproof and odor-resistant material. This harness is available in sizes ranging from small to extra-large. (If you don’t love the pink option, this harness is also available in blue.)
- Two rust-proof D-rings for front or back leash attachments
- Made from waterproof and odor resistant PVC coated webbing
- No-pull and step-in design
- Matching leash available
- May not be comfortable for long-wear situations
Shop on Petco
Best Mesh: Voyager All-Weather Step-In Dog Harness
The Voyager All-Weather Harness with leash is a good option for dog parents who aren’t in love with the PVC waterproof materials. Though no non-PVC-treated harness will be quite as effective at repelling mud and grime, this comfortable mesh design does stand up to the rain, works well in both summer and winter, and is washable.
This harness is a step-in model that spreads out the pressure to prevent strain on your dog’s neck. It has a double D-ring for leash attachments. This design includes reflective strips for maximum visibility. Pet parents can spot clean, wash on the gentle cycle, or clean with a pet-hair roller—but don’t put this harness in the dryer.
- Comfortable mesh material that works in all weather conditions
- Comes with a matching leash
- Can be spot cleaned, machine-washed on gentle, or cleaned with a pet hair roller
- Step-in model
- Double D-ring attachments
- Comfortable for all-day use
- Air dry to maintain size and shape
Shop on AmazonShop on Chewy
Great for Swimmers: Kurgo Surf n’ Turf Dog Jacket (Verified Review)
If you’re looking to spend some serious time in the water, the Kurgo Surf n’ Turf dog jacket might be a good option. This jacket is designed for use in the water and provides comfortable floatation for active dogs. It has two rear handles that provides direct control or, if necessary, water extraction (a feature our test pups appreciated). The vest is comfortable enough for all-day use and has multiple points of adjustment to fit many different shapes and sizes. Made from durable ripstop material and a neoprene liner, this vest is washable but should be line-dried.
- Water-safe materials designed for floatation
- Comfortable enough to wear all day
- Adjustable, with two handles
- Plastic buckles
- Made from ripstop material and neoprene liner
Shop on Amazon
Best Coat-Style Harness: Chai’s Choice Foul-Weather Jacket
If you need a foul-weather jacket that doubles as a harness, the Chai’s Choice jacket is a good option to keep your dog dry and comfortable. Made from military-grade Dupont Cordura waterproof fabric, this harness has a durable exterior and a soft interior. It’s a high-visibility harness that features 3M reflective material throughout to ensure visibility in all weather. The vest uses an aluminum-alloy D-ring for leash attachment, and it comes in seven sizes and three color options.
- Uses military-grade Dupont Cordura waterproof fabric with a a soft interior lining
- Features 3M reflective material to aid in visibility
- Keeps your dog’s coat dry in foul weather
- Available in seven sizes and three colors
- Chai’s Choice is a US veteran-owned company
Shop on Amazon
How We Chose
We selected the waterproof harnesses featured here based on a combination of our own hands-on testing and a comprehensive look at customer reviews across a wide variety of retail platforms. We considered durability, easy cleaning, size range, odor-proofing, visibility, and adjustability. We’re also guided by the experience of living and playing alongside our own much-loved and strongly opinionated pets, who are never stingy with their feedback.
- The 7 Best Waterproof Dog Collars for Outdoor Adventuring
- The Best Reflective Dog Collars, Harnesses, and Vests for Safe Night Walks
- Our Ultimate Dog Hiking Gear Guide
- Wet Dog Smell: How to Get Rid of It (And Why It Happens)