- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Cats, by their very nature, are super cool. In fact, decades before anyone was called a hipster, the coolest thing to be was a hepcat (you youngsters can Google it). Whether they’re serving up disapproving side-eye or performing death-defying leaps at playtime, cats know exactly who they are and what they want. And that’s cool.
To help with your search for a name that truly compliments your cat’s natural coolness, I combed through Rover’s database to find the coolest cat names. Without further ado, here are the coolest female and male cat names by rank, plus cool international and science-inspired suggestions.
For a quick summary, check out this fun video:
Top 59 Female & Male Cool Cat Names from Rover
Top 50 Cool People Names for Cats
If you talk to (and about) your cat as much as I do, you might find yourself telling a coworker, “I was going over my vacation plans with Caroline the other day…” Of course, Caroline is your cat, and yes, you discuss your vacation plans with her. Because she cares! A lot!
People names make great cat names. Why not name your cat after your childhood crush or your favorite sitcom character?
|Cool male cat names||Cool female cat names|
|Elijah||Sophia or Sofia|
Cool Cat Names from Japan
If you like a name with a rhythmic sound and a special meaning, you might find inspiration in these popular names for cats in Japan.
- Momo (Peach)
- Kuro (Black)
- Hana (Flower)
- Shiro (White)
- Sora (Sky)
- Fuku (Lucky)
- Chibi (Tiny)
- Mikan (Mandarin Orange)
- Kotetsu (Small Iron)
- Sakura (Cherry Blossom)
- Tora (Tiger)
- Maron (Chestnut)
- Azuki (Sweet Red Beans)
- Hime (Princess)
- Moka (Mocha)
- Kurumi (Walnut)
- Haru (Spring)
- Miruku (Milk)
- Minto (Mint)
- Yuki (Snow)
Cool Cat Names Inspired by Scientists
For a nerdy-cool twist, consider honoring your cat with the name of a respected and accomplished scientist. I confess that my dog got an amazing new nickname after I learned about the distinguished entomologist Sir V.B. Wigglesworth.
Women scientists with cat-friendly names
- Kalpana Chawla (astronaut)
- Hypatia (mathematician)
- Mae Jemison (astronaut)
- Grace Hopper (computer scientist)
- Temple Grandin (animal behaviorist)
- Dian Fossey (primatologist)
- Ada Lovelace (mathematician)
- Hedy Lamar (inventor)
- Honor Frost (archeologist)
- Perla Fuscado (Egyptologist)
- Annie Jump Cannon (astronomer)
- Bettye Washington Greene (chemist)
- Raghild Sundby (zoologist)
- Marcia McNutt (geophysicist)
- Zhenan Bao (engineer)
- Elise L’Esperance (pathologist)
- Shirley Ann Jackson (physicist)
Male scientists with cat-friendly names
- St. Elmo Brady (chemist)
- Sir Vincent Brian Wigglesworth (biologist)
- Herman Branson (physicist)
- Thomas Edison (inventor)
- Nicolaus Copernicus (astronomer)
- Enrico Fermi (physicist)
- Wilhelm Rontgen (engineer)
- Archimedes (polymath)
- Linus Pauling (biochemist)
- Ernest Rutherford (physicist)
- Evangelista Torricelli (mathematician)
- Alfred Nobel (chemist)
Make It Personal
Have you found the perfect name for your hepcat? Whatever name you choose, don’t forget to properly ID your pet with a personalized name tag or customized cat collar to keep your new family member safe (and don’t forget the best place for your cool cat’s name: The microchip)!
Need Cat Sitting?
Cats seem more independent than dogs, sure, but they need attention, play, and treats when you’re gone, too. Your great cat deserves great cat care. You’ve found the best cat name, so now it’s time to find them the perfect cat sitter with Rover.
Find your cat’s perfect match, right from your phone—and then hit the road happy.
New Cat Resources
If you’re adding a kitten or a newly adopted cat to your family, these articles will help you both get off on the right paw.
- How Long Can You Leave a Kitten Alone?
- The Best Cat Toys, According to Cats
- How Do Cats Choose their Favorite Person?
- The 13 Best Healthy Kitten Treats for a Growing Cat